Decision making in adolescents: a multifaceted construct
Keywords:Nervous system, Decision, Adolescent
Judging to make a decision amidst several possibilities that rise to risks, losses, gains and uncertainties is not a simple matter. In this process, the subject needs to verify the situation considering the alternatives that are made up of several elements, among them, the analysis of how much this decision will cost and what benefit it will have in response, and what the consequences will be in the long, medium and short term. In this sense, decision-making is associated with the deliberative and affective process that relates to multiple variables that are interconnected with the flow of information assimilated by the agent who is responsible for the judgment and the decision. This process is interdependent on the subject's structure with external stimuli. Thus, the individual's forces and social pressure are important elements to be considered for decision making. For the adolescent, this issue becomes even more important, as it is a phase of human development in which the person exhibits behaviors of risk and during this stage of life there is a process of maturation of the central nervous system, which are related to decision-making and motivational processes. Therefore, decision making among adolescents is a complex issue that in addition to biological factors are directly related to social and psychological elements, depends on a maturity in development, but can be impaired if stressful situations are constant stimuli in the lives of adolescents.
2. Dorneles TM. As bases neuropsicológicas da emoção: um diálogo acerca da aprendizagem. Rev Acad Licenciacturas. 2014;2(2):14-21.
3. Kahneman D. Rápido e devagar: duas formas de pensar. Rio de Janeiro: Objetiva, 2012;22(22):292-304.
4. Damásio A R. O erro de Descartes: emoção, razão e o cérebro humano. São Paulo: Companhia das Letras, 1996;2 (7):91-97
5. Damásio A R. O cérebro criou o homem. São Paulo: Companhia das Letras, 2011;5(5):140-145.
6. Kluwe-Schiavon B, Sanvicente-Vieira B, Viola TW, Veiga E, Bortolotto V, Grassi-Oliveira R. Assessing Affective and Deliberative Decision-Making: Adaptation of the Columbia Card Task to Brazilian Portuguese. Span J Psychol. 2015;18:E89. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1017/sjp.2015.81
7. Bissoto ML. Auto-organização, cognição corporificada e os princípios da racionalidade limitada. Ciênc Cogn. 2007;(11):80-90.
8. Diniz LFM, Schiavon BK, Grassi-Oliveira R. Julgamento e tomada de decisão. São Paulo: Pearson Clinical Brasil, 2018; (5):111-119.
9. Figner B, Voelki N. Risky decision making in a computer card game: an information integration experiment. Polish Psycholog Bulletan. 2004;35(3):135-9.
10. Reyna VF, Farley F. Risk rationality in adolescent decision making: Implications for theory, practice, and public policy. Psycholog Sci Public Interest. 2006;7(1):1-44. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-1006.2006.00026.x
11. Kluwe-Schiavon B, Viola TW, Sanvicente-Vieira B, Pezzi JC, Grassi-Oliveira R. Similarities between adult female crack cocaine users and adolescents in risky decision-making scenarios. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2016;38(7):795-810. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13803395.2016.1167171
12. Fundação Oswaldo Cruz (FIOCRUZ). III Levantamento Nacional sobre o uso de drogas pela população Brasileira. Rio de Janeiro: FIOCRUZ, 2017: (4): 79-85.
13. Rodrigo MJ, Padron I, Vega M, Ferstl EC. Adolescents’ risky decision-making activates neural networks related to social cognition and cognitive control processes. Fron Hum Neurosci. 2014;8;60. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00060
14. Olson EA, Hooper CJ, Collins P, Luciana M. Adolescents’ performance on delay and probability discounting tasks: contributions of age, intelligence, executive functioning, and self-report externalizing behavior. Pers Individ Dif. 2007;4397):1886-97. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.06.016
15. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). Pesquisa Nacional de Saúde do Escolar. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE, 2016: (5):18-22.
16. World Health Organization (WHO). Global accelerated action for the health of adolescents (AA-HA!): guidance to support country implementation. Geneva: WHO, 2017:(3) :40-44.
17. Pimentel RMM, Drezett J, Macedo Jr H, Andreoni S, Silva RS.Abortion withdrawal of sexual violence pregnancy: the role of the sex offender. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):170-178. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10363
18. Cavaggioni APM, Martins MCF, Benincasa M. Influence of type of birth on child development: a comparison by Bayley- III Scale. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):301-310. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10382
19. Albuquerque KA, Cunha ACB. Novas tendências em instrumentos para triagem do desenvolvimento infantil no Brasil: uma revisão sistemática. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020; 30(2):xxxx. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10366
20. Giacomozzi AI, Cardoso JL, Figueiredo CDS, Meneghetti NCO, Wiggers GA, Nunes PP, et al. Experiences of violence among students of public schools. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):179-187.
21. Medeiros AJ, Lima JS, Cardoso VVBP, Palmeira PA. Longitudinal monitoring of nutritional status of schoolchildren at a public school. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):209-215. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10367
22. Lopes MN, Grassiolli S, Veríssimo MLOR, Toso BRGO, Favil PT, Paula ACR, Viera CS. Dietary habits, anthropometric and metabolic profile of adolescents born prematurely. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):241-250. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10370
23. Almeida EW, Greguol M. Lipid profile in people with Down syndrome: a literature review. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):197-208. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.9968
24. Farias ES, Moreira KFA, Santos JP, Gemelli IFB, Costa GM, Souza OF. Overweight and obesity: prevalence in children and adolescents in Northern Brazil. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):266-273.
25. Tornquist D, Tornquist L, Reuter CP, Horta JA, Renner JDP, Burgos MS. Effects of an interdisciplinary intervention on insulin resistance indicators in overweight and obese adolescents. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):274-282. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10379
26. Schmidt BC, Gerzson LR, Almeida CS. The use of surface electromiography as a measure of physiotherapy outcomes in children with Cerebral Palsy: a systematic review. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):216-226. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10368
27. Lopes BM, Bueno CD, Didoné DD, Sleifer P.Comparison between click and ce-chirp® stimuli in neonatal hearing screening. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):260-265. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10375
28. Castilho T, Itaborahy BDH, Hoepers A, Brito JN, Almeida ACS, Schivinski CIS. Effects of inspiratory muscle training and breathing exercises in children with asthma: a systematic review. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):291-300. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10381
29. Ferro RP, Cosson ICO, Santos JA, Macedo LR, Macedo MR, Carvalho JS, et al. characterization of congenital syphilis cases with emphasis on the therapeutic scheme in a philanthropic maternity hospital in Espírito Santo. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020; 30(2):283-290. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10380
30. Oliveira FS, Morais MJD, Abreu LC, Pérez-Riera AR, Valenti VE, Paiva LS, et al. The effects of aerobic exercise on biochemical parameters in individuals with CKD on hemodialysis: A longitudinal study. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020; 30(2):251-259. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10374
31. Castro A, Vitali MM, Bousfield ABS, Camargo BV. Social representations of the internet for the elderly. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):227-240. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10369
32. Bezerra PCL, Opitz SP, Koifman RJ, Monteiro GTR, Muniz PT. Self- Reported morbidity in adults: population survey in Rio Branco, Brazil, 2007 – 2008. J Hum Growth Dev. 2020;30(2):311-325. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10383
33. Valenti VE, Menezes PL, de Abreu ACG, Alves Vieira GN, Garner DM. Social distancing measures could have reduced estimated deaths related to COVID-19 in Brazil . J Hum Growth Dev. 2020; 30(2):164-169. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7322/jhgd.v30.10360